Saturday, August 16, 2014

(Don´t) Catch (Up With) Me If You Can (Help It)

There is a second part to my previous blog post, the part about what happens after we say our beautiful and heartfelt goodbyes with the people we love. But this part starts with a less-sunny confession:

I am terrible at staying in touch with people.

I always promise that I will. (I feel supremely guilty when the words are escaping from my mouth in an eager effort to stem the sadness of saying goodbye, when I know perfectly well that all I´ll do is stalk them on Facebook a few times and that, even if I did own a summer cottage in the Hamptons, I´d never actually invite them out for the weekend.) Whew. It feels good to get that off my chest.

No matter how special a person is to me or how many great memories we shared, no matter how many times I think about them or see something in my day that reminds me of them, no matter how much I truly want to or intend to talk to them, and despite the multitude of communication devices available to me, staying in touch in practice is so much more difficult than I think it is when I make my parting promises.

But why is it so tough? I know that members of my generation should not complain. Our parents had to call one another on their landlines and their phones still had cords attached to them. Our grandparents wrote sentimental, longhand letters on stationary that was sealed with dripped wax and pressed by family crest-adorned rings. Our ancestors finger-painted in caves with the hope that some cute bipedal mate would also like red antelopes. But we have cell phones and Wifi-capable devices and Facebook and a thousand different apps that allow us show real-time pictures of meals we´re eating and to creepily contact people we may or may not have ever met. We have no excuse for not staying in touch with our friends, not when they´re a few pushes of a button away.

The reality is, however, that staying in touch with someone requires heartfelt commitment, not just button punching. There is the time commitment of writing, calling, texting, or Skyping. Even if an email can be sent in just five minutes, choosing that activity takes us away from the immediate present, the here and now of our new life away from that other person. Also, reaching out to someone, especially after a significant amount of time apart, is scary – you may not reconnect with the other person or receive a response from them as you had expected. Or you may see a good friendship slowly and sadly fade away. Finally, maintaining a relationship requires a mutual commitment to vulnerability and honesty. To stay involved in another´s life means that real information, feelings, thoughts, and stories must be shared. In short, staying in touch is about the quality of the conversations and the genuine sentiment of the correspondence, not the quantity of emails in an inbox.

In the past year and nine months, I have felt so loved by those I left behind. I´ve had great conversations, at times profound and at times just plain silly. I´ve received funny letters, heartfelt emails, and surprise packages. I´ve signed off from Skype conversations with a deep sense of awe and gratitude at what we were able to share. Time and time again, I´ve been reminded that true friendship means you can go months, or years, without talking and when you finally do, you realize nothing has changed. That the relationship has grown as both parties have independently grown.

So when I say that I don´t want to catch up with people, I mean that I don´t just want to catch up with people. “Catching up” means a description of your current job and a list of travels and activities. Catching up is a start, but it doesn´t tell the full story of who you are and it doesn´t deepen a friendship. So let´s talk about the things that really suck in the world right now and laugh about that one night in college and be scared together about the future. Let´s comfort each other and vent our frustrations and tell funny stories and ask each other for advice. Let´s be amazed that someone can know us so well even from the other side of the world and let the colors of our friendship sparkle and shine just like the sequins on those thrift store prom dresses we used to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment